Energy & Carbon
Net Zero Carbon Strategy
Climate Change is one of the greatest challenges of our time and aligning to the Paris 1.5 degrees pathway is a business imperative. Organisations globally are increasingly recognising this and signing-up to becoming Net Zero. But the path to Net Zero is complex with a number of variabilities impacting its success. Thus, to truly deliver on this ambition, organisations will need to interrogate every aspect of their business, looking deeper for those hard-to-reach reductions in emissions and set robust delivery plans to accelerate their transition to Net Zero.
At Greengage we have been supporting a diverse range of clients in their transition to Net Zero Carbon. Our services include:
- Developing Bespoke Organisational Net Zero Carbon Strategy.
- Developing Portfolio Level Net Zero Carbon Strategies and Delivery Plans for the Public and Private Sectors including Commercial Real Estate.
- Undertaking Property Level Net Zero Audits and Transition Planning.
- Net Zero due diligence at point of acquisition and sale, followed by a more rigorous transition strategy.
- Advice on internal carbon pricing and offsetting.
- Embedding net zero thinking into organisational and corporate decision making.
- Executive level and c-suite engagement, training and capacity building of staff and teams to be ready for net zero legislation.
PAS2060 offers an alternative route to achieving Net Zero by being Carbon Neutral. Carbon neutrality offers a state of balance between the CO2 emitted into the atmosphere and the CO2 removed from the atmosphere. By aligning with the UN Sustainable Development Goal 13, PAS 2060 plays an active role towards taking urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts caused by carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gasses.
The process enables organisations to demonstrate their carbon neutrality claims to be credible and verified. PAS2060 provides guidance to company’s on how to quantify, reduce and offset GHG emissions on a specified business area. Our service in this area includes:
- Helping organisations to sign-up to PAS2060 and supporting with required documentation.
- Develop a PAS2060 Strategy for your Organisation/Portfolio/Properties.
- Audit and re-align existing strategies to be Carbon Neutral
- Setting out detailed delivery plans and carbon management plans.
- Provide advice on purchasing credible offsets using verified offsetting schemes such as Gold Standard Certified (SDG) impacts, Certified Emission Reductions (CER) and Verified Carbon Standard (VCS)
- Provide an on-going support with year-on year validation to maintain your carbon neutral status.
Carbon Footprinting, Benchmarking and Target Setting
We can calculate an organisation’s carbon footprint to outline its scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions and help with understanding the sources of their core emissions.
We help companies baseline energy, water and waste consumption to enable them to manage emissions in a comprehensive manner. This can also feed into the support we provide on legislative compliance and mandatory GHG reporting for UK listed companies. Specifically, in terms of Scope 3 emissions we map emissions against 15 categories of the GHG protocol.
We also help companies with benchmarking properties within their portfolio to set both in-house targets for property types as well as use the SBTi framework to set 1.5 degree aligned Net Zero Carbon Targets.
You cannot manage what you can’t measure and managing and reducing the operational energy consumption is one of the most important parts of the Net Zero Carbon transition. The NABERS rating scheme provides a reliable framework to assess the operational performance of Offices and allows property owners to delineate the energy consumption of the base building from tenant demise. Greengage is an official NABERS Supporter and provides the following services:
- NABERS assessment and rating of existing buildings
- NABERS Design for Performance modelling at Design Stage
- Portfolio assessments and audits for NABERS including advice on metering strategy.
- CPD and Training on making the most of NABERS.
Whole Life and Embodied Carbon Assessments
Greengage work with organisations to standardise their measurement and reporting of embodied carbon using industry best practice in order to reduce the life cycle impact of a project. We identify where embodied energy impacts arise within the design process and supply chains and make recommendations regarding specification of alternative materials, material optimisation and construction methods. These recommendations are used to inform the design of a project, as well as that of future projects.
Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (EPC legislation)
The UK Government has set a requirement for all domestic rented properties to be an EPC C by 2025 and all non-domestic properties to be an EPC B by 2030. Furthermore, it is now illegal to rent or sell a property without a valid EPC rating of E or above. Greengage is an accredited and licensed energy assessor for both the residential and commercial sectors. We provide Energy Performance Certificates in line with UK legislative requirements for existing and new properties constructed, sold or let. We have experience of carrying out estate wide assessments and can work within framework agreements we can ensure organisations are prepared for changing legislation.