BRE Global have published the latest addition to the BREEAM family of schemes, the Draft BREEAM UK Refurbishment and Fit-Out 2014 technical manual has been released for stakeholder review and comment. The new scheme aims to bridge gaps between refurbishment/fit-out and BREEAM new construction assessment by:
1. Providing a scheme which works directly alongside BREEAM New Construction 2014, allowing the first fit-out of shell only and shell and core projects to gain ‘Fully fitted’ certification under the New Construction 2014 scheme,
2. Offering a modular approach allowing flexibility so that projects are assessed against the issues that they can reasonably influence within their scope of works,
3. New and revised criteria adapted for refurbishment and fit-out projects, which reflect the split between tenant and landlord responsibilities and the limitations and opportunities for improving existing buildings.
The Draft BREEAM UK Refurbishment and Fit-Out 2014 technical manual and consultation documents can be obtained from the BREEAM website, and interested stakeholders have until the 29th August 2014 to provide comment on the scheme. The other key dates for the diary are:
• October 2014 (date tbc) – Publication of BREEAM UK RFO 2014 manual (FINAL).
• October 2014 (date tbc) – Go-live date for registrations against the 2014 scheme and go live of refurbishment and fit-out online assessment and reporting tool.
• November 2014 (date tbc) – final date for registration of refurbishment and fit-out projects against BREEAM 2008 or BREEAM NC 2011 as relevant.