The UK Government’s commitment to a Net Zero economy sets a challenge for all sectors on how they can achieve zero emissions by 2050. Organizations now have to move faster and deeper than ever before with their carbon management strategies and address those hard to reach emissions.
Achieving a genuine net zero business is challenging and there exist few examples of where this has been successfully achieved, but Greengage can deliver tangible net zero outcomes through:
- Executive level and c-suite engagement and training
- Effective technical advice such as carbon footprinting or climate risk assessment
- Design and development of bespoke organisational net zero strategy
- Capacity building of staff and teams to be ready for net zero legislation
- Embedding net zero thinking into organisational and corporate decision making
While organisations move onto a net zero footing or build on their track record of carbon reduction, many do not understand their full exposure to climate risk. Hotter summers, changing rainfall patterns and extreme events coupled with changes in policy, technology, markets and legislation can expose organisations – both public and private – to a range of climate related risks. These can damage the bottom line, hurt investor confidence or impact on the ability to deliver a product or service.
Greengage can help organisations by helping them understand exactly how climate change can and will impact on their organisations from internal culture and governance to the physical impacts on their portfolios or assets. Using a mix of industry experience, TCFD principles, climate projections and a range of innovative data, Greengage can help establish the risks faced and prepare a mitigation strategy to manage these risks.
Greengage provide technical support, design advice and coordination relating to climate change resilience. This can help developments to exceed basic legislative and policy ‘box-ticking’ requirements, enabling delivery of schemes resilient to a changing climate. Our technical approach is able to focus on multifunctional GI design, energy efficiency, urban heat island risk, surface flood water management and the impacts of climate change. This holistic approach benefits the placemaking process, helping to create spaces which will continue to function despite future climate risk, reducing management and cost burdens for developers, managers and landowners.
Greengage can deliver this service with a focus on individual technical disciplines or else coordinate the climate resilience design process within a wider design team. The output of this support would be the production of a Climate Change Resilience Strategy, which would draw from all relevant technical disciplines, outlining the measures embedded within proposals to address climate risk, and quantifying the benefits for the scheme. Such a strategy would be suitable to address planning commitments but can also be produced to complement bespoke corporate policy or project aspirations which exceed minimum requirements.
Greengage provide climate change resilience advice and strategy production relating to management of existing assets/portfolios. The drivers for doing this are twofold:
- To meet investor demand for information about the resilience of built assets to climate change and other resilience issues;
- To provide more information about the strategies used by property companies to assess and manage climate risks.
Following the Task Force on Climate Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) recommendations, we can support organisations in addressing two key risks:
- Transition risk related to the shift towards a low carbon economy required to meet the UN Paris Agreement Goals. Companies reliant on inefficient, carbon intensive technologies will see future liabilities and competitive disadvantage; and
- Physical risk related to short term climate related shocks or longer term chronic stresses such as increased rainfall or temperature. Being able to prepare for and resist these risks provides a considerable long term advantage.
Our guidance will help you to devise a process for understanding your exposure to climate related risk, develop resilience related business strategies for your assets, including specified targets and measurement of performance over time. This strategy will be aligned with a client’s corporate policy and aspirations relating to climate change resilience. We would work closely with the team to identify what elements are valued highly by your business, identify where these may be at risk, and present measures to protect and improve assets. This often has the benefit of improvement workplace environments and reflecting wider health and wellbeing improvement targets.