Greengage were appointed by Cast to develop an embedded ESG strategy covering their business operations and promoting industry leadership. A major driver of this strategy was Cast’s ambition to commit to the net-zero agenda in line with the latest guidance. Although an SME, Cast sought to commit to setting a science-based target (SBT) across all 3 scopes of emissions, in exceedance of SBTi minimum requirements. As part of their baselining programme, Greengage’s brief was to do in depth scoping, reviewing and analysis of all of Cast’s business activities. This would then enable Greengage to generate a pathway to net zero, aligning Cast with the SBTi’s recently increased guidance, to keep global warming to below 1.5oC.
In addition to their drive to net-zero, Cast wanted to explore opportunities for funding offsetting projects and look at becoming carbon neutral.
Following the Greenhouse Gas Protocol guidelines, Greengage’s approach here was to review the gas and electricity metering data across all office spaces to determine the overall carbon emissions associated with Scopes 1 and 2. Market based emissions were calculated using the fuel mix of the specific electricity provider and tariffs procured by Cast. The next task was collating and analysing supply chain Scope 3 emissions, including business travel, purchased goods and services, waste, water and so on. Calculations were made using volumes, quantities or weights of products were possible and converted to carbon equivalent using the relevant DEFRA conversion factors. However, where only spend data was available, SECR conversion factors have been used. This data enabled Greengage to generate a carbon baseline for Cast and provide comparisons on historical carbon reductions where data was available.
From here, the SBTi absolute contraction approach was applied to calculate the year-on-year emissions reduction pathway to 2050. This created the reduction trajectory that Cast would need to follow to be in line with SBTi requirements and achieve net zero carbon in line with the 1.5oC climate scenario. This trajectory was manipulated to formulate specific near- and long-term science-based targets.
Further to this, Greengage arranged several meetings with carbon offsetting providers and shortlisted a few to present to Cast in order to drive their ambition to become carbon neutral. This was done based on Cast’s preferences whilst also ensuring the shortlisted projects met all requirements of PAS 2060.
The following outcomes were achieved from this project on assisting Cast establish their Science Based Target and carbon neutrality programme:
- 2019 Carbon Baseline and Science Based Target trajectory established:
- Scope 1 & 2 Near-term target: Cast commits to reduce absolute Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions by 57% by 2030 from a 2019 base year.
- Scope 3 Near-term target: Cast commits to reduce 83.1% of its absolute Scope 3 GHG emissions by 57% by 2030 from a 2019 base year.
- Long-term Net-Zero target: Cast commits to reach net-zero by 2050. As part of this, Cast commits to reduce absolute Scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions 91% by 2050 from a 2019 base year.
- Recommendations were provided around future data capture.
- Science Based Target SME application completed in line with latest guidance.
- Beyond Value Chain Mitigation has been investigated and recommendations put forward.
- Carbon Offsetting was secured through a VCS Certified REDD+ project in Pacajai, Brazil.
- A Transition Fund is to be set up in line with UKGBC guidance, as part of an overarching offsetting strategy. A suite of suitable project providers was put forward to Cast, running projects which ranged from retrofitting (upgrading glazing, insulation, BMS etc.) to installing on site renewables on local schools and running energy pop up sessions to local residents.