Fiera Real Estate is a leading global investment management company. It is committed to reaching Net Zero by 2035 across Scope 1, 2 and 3, including emissions from their managed assets.
Greengage Environmental has been appointed by the client, Fiera Real Estate to conduct net zero audits for an industrial warehouse leased by Brewdog and provide bespoke recommendations to help the asset achieve EPC level B and reach net zero emissions.
Services were provided across the following key deliverables:
1. Baselining: Annual, as well as half hourly consumption data was collected for the property. The energy and carbon baselines were established and compared with industry benchmarks to understand the potential for decarbonisation. Half hourly data of the building was analysed to understand the monthly, weekly, and daily consumption pattern of the building and suggest behavioural and retrofit measures to optimise consumption.
2. Site survey: A site survey was conducted to assess the building fabric, services, building operations and management to identify the opportunities for optimising and reducing energy consumption.
3. Scenario testing: It was found that the tenants were not using the office within the warehouse. An alternative scenario where the building is used as intended was developed to understand the impact on the baseline, the performance of the building as well as the additional energy conservation measures that should be applied to improve performance to Net Zero levels.
4. Energy reductions measures: Based on the data provided by the client and the observations on site, bespoke energy reduction measures were identified. These were a combination of retrofits, improvements to energy monitoring and management and operational practices on site. Additional details for each energy conservation measure have been set out, providing information on what is being recommended, the anticipated improvement, next steps, risks and assumptions. A summary table setting out the capital costs, savings and payback is included.
5. Green Infrastructure (GI) Solutions: A number of GI solutions were evaluated to understand the energy and carbon savings in addition to other benefits such as carbon sequestration, biodiversity enhancement, etc. Suitable GI solutions were then recommended, based on the estimated savings and payback, along with the next steps, risks, and assumptions.
6. EPC evaluation: The energy conservation measures were also modelled in IES to demonstrate their impact on the EPC rating and score of the property. The suggested measures help the client achieve their aspirations for the EPC rating of the asset.
The final output for the assessments was a net zero audit report, which discusses the performance of the building in comparison with industry benchmarks and its potential to reach net zero and the opportunities to reduce consumption. A list of bespoke retrofit and optimisation measures are outlined along with the associated savings and payback. A summary of each measure is provided to understand the rationale and achieved savings. The impact of each measure on the EPC rating of the property, along with the resultant rating, is also outlined in the report.
“We recognise that it is pivotal for us to take swift action to reduce the energy consumption from our properties to reach Net Zero by 2035. We recognise Greengage Environmental as a sustainability expert with whom we share a passion for real and measurable change. We look forward to incorporating bespoke recommendations provided to us by Greengage Environmental that will support us in decarbonising our properties.”
Associate, Sustainable Investing, UK