Banyards is a leading consultancy offering forward-thinking engineering solutions that lead to energy-efficient buildings. The company specialises in building design services from conception to completion and offers commissioning management and validation services to its clients.
Greengage Environmental Ltd have been appointed by the client, Banyards, to develop a Carbon Baseline and set a Net-Zero pathway. All calculations have been carried out in line with the GHG Protocol guidelines for carbon reporting.
Key Outcomes identified:
1. Data Analysis: Annual data collected and analysed between calendar years 2019-2021 for Banyards offices in London and Manchester covering:
Scope 1 & 2 emissions: Typically, gas, vehicle fuel, refrigerants and electricity consumption analysis and converted to carbon emissions. In Banyards case, there is no gas reported in any offices, therefore Scope 1 mainly comprise of Fleet from Fuel. Scope 2 comprises of purchased electricity from grid, where Banyards has some Operational and Financial control.
Scope 3 emissions mapping and analysis: Review and inventory development of Scope 3 emissions across all 15 categories covering upstream and downstream business activities. In Banyard’s case it is mainly across upstream emission categories with significant emissions from categories pertaining to travel.
The carbon Baseline is then calculated and recommended.
2. Emissions Reduction Recommendations: Using the emissions data calculated, the high carbon risk activities are then identified with recommendations for improvement and establishment of the initial work phases for client to implement their pathway to Net-Zero.
3. Pathway Development: Using the baseline data, the trajectory to Net-Zero in line with the absolute contraction approach set by the Science based targets initiative (SBTi). In addition, the requirements of the Exceptional Roadmaps Race to Zero 1.5C Playbook are applied to halve emissions every 10 years. A pathway tool has been developed for Banyards to support with calculating and tracking annual reduction budget.
4. Alternative approach: Recommendations provided to Banyards to become Carbon Neutral status with PAS2060. This is another route to Net-Zero where realistic annual reductions can be set. Once reduction targets are met, the residual carbon can be neutralised by using credible and verifiable carbon offsets. The carbon neutral route supports Net-Zero.
5. Final output: Report providing the baseline data with supporting evidence behind methodology as well as recommendations, information relating to Net-Zero, SBTs and offsetting. As part of services, a final presentation covering the services, emissions calculated, key recommendations and next steps are provided to the client aimed to guide decision making.
“We recognise that it is be pivotal for us to commit to Net-Zero in line with the global 1.5°C climate scenarios. We recognise Greengage as a sustainability expert with whom we share a passion for real and measurable change. We look forward to incorporating bespoke recommendations provided to us by Greengage that will support us in achieving Net-Zero by 2050.”